Here is a dish with a modest name that has been part of Thai culture for at least couple of hundred years. Traditionally Thai salads are divided into three main categories based on the dressing type. The most popular salads are those with with clear dressings made of lime juice, fish sauce, crushed chilies and a touch of sugar.
Fruit salads, like Pomelo and mango are made with what is referred to as “black dressing” (Yam Dam) made of palm sugar, fish sauce, tamarind juice, coconut cream and roasted chili paste.
In this beautiful and simple dish, The sweet-sour juice exploding Pomelo pulps are smoothing on the tangy, salty, sweet and hot creamy dressing and crunching with coat of fried garlic, dry-roasted peanuts, and grated coconut. If that’s not enough the fried dried shrimp add a savory dimension to each bits of this playful dish. The salad is meant to be assembled at the last minute, so all of the flavors stay crisp and clean.
Pomelo Salad Recipe
Prepare The Ingredients:
- Peel the pomelo, and remove all membrane from the pulp.
- With your fingers break the pomelo pulps into small bite size pieces.
- Fry dry bird’s eye chilies until deep red and shiny in color
- Crack and grate fresh coconut. Over low heat dry roast the coconut until golden and crispy
- Cook bite-size shrimp pieces until just done.
- Dry roast and crush unsalted peanuts
- Fry and ground dry shrimp
- Dice shallots and fry crushed garlic until crispy
- Roasted chili paste and palm sugar
- Fish sauce and tamarind juice.
- Coconut cream
Prepare the dressing
- In a mixing bowl add 2 parts of palm sugar
- Add 1 part of fish sauce
- Add 2 parts of tamarind juice
- Add 1 part of roasted chili paste
- Add 2 parts of coconut cream
- Mix well until blended and smooth
- Combine the dish
- In a mixing bowl add the pomelo pulps
- Add the cooked shrimp meat
- Add diced shallots
- Add seasoning sauce to well coat the ingredients
- Mix well
- Add the crispy ingredients
- Add ground fried dry shrimp
- Add Fried Garlic
- Add grated and roasted coconut
- Add roasted and crashed peanuts
- Toss everything together
Watch the video:
Latest posts by Hanuman (see all)
Dtom Jeaw Pla Recipe
A Rustic & Spicy Laotian Fish Soup with Grilled Eggplants, Oyster Mushrooms and Herbs
สูตรทำต้มแจ่วปลา - September 23, 2012
Or Lam Gai Recipe
Velvety Laotian Stew of Chicken, Eggplants and Wild Pepper Vine
(aw laam gai sai sakan)
สูตรทำเอาะหลามไก่ใส่สะค้าน - September 16, 2012
Pad Kee Mao Recipe of Stuffed Squid with Shrimp, Pork and Water Chestnuts Garnished with Crispy Basil Leaves
(phat khee mao bplaa meuk yat sai goong neuua muu lae haaeo)
สูตรทำผัดขี้เมาปลาหมึกยัดไส้กุ้งเนื้อหมูและแห้ว - February 26, 2012
Thai Fried Fish Recipe
Southern Thai Style Deep Fried Fish with Fresh Turmeric
(bplaa saai daaeng thaawt khamin)
สูตรทำปลาทรายแดงทอดขมิ้น สูตรปักษ์ใต้ - January 30, 2012
Thai Dessert Recipe:
Pandan Flavored Sweet Translucent Gelatinous Rice
(khaao niaao gaaeo)
สูตรทำข้าวเหนียวแก้ว - June 20, 2011