Here is a dish with a modest name that has been part of Thai culture for at least couple of hundred years. Traditionally Thai salads are divided into three main categories based on the dressing type. The most popular salads are those with with clear dressings made of lime juice, fish sauce, crushed chilies and a touch of sugar.
Fruit salads, like Pomelo and mango are made with what is referred to as “black dressing” (Yam Dam) made of palm sugar, fish sauce, tamarind juice, coconut cream and roasted chili paste.
In this beautiful and simple dish, The sweet-sour juice exploding Pomelo pulps are smoothing on the tangy, salty, sweet and hot creamy dressing and crunching with coat of fried garlic, dry-roasted peanuts, and grated coconut. If that’s not enough the fried dried shrimp add a savory dimension to each bits of this playful dish. The salad is meant to be assembled at the last minute, so all of the flavors stay crisp and clean.
Pomelo Salad Recipe
Prepare The Ingredients:
- Peel the pomelo, and remove all membrane from the pulp.
- With your fingers break the pomelo pulps into small bite size pieces.
- Fry dry bird’s eye chilies until deep red and shiny in color
- Crack and grate fresh coconut. Over low heat dry roast the coconut until golden and crispy
- Cook bite-size shrimp pieces until just done.
- Dry roast and crush unsalted peanuts
- Fry and ground dry shrimp
- Dice shallots and fry crushed garlic until crispy
- Roasted chili paste and palm sugar
- Fish sauce and tamarind juice.
- Coconut cream
Prepare the dressing
- In a mixing bowl add 2 parts of palm sugar
- Add 1 part of fish sauce
- Add 2 parts of tamarind juice
- Add 1 part of roasted chili paste
- Add 2 parts of coconut cream
- Mix well until blended and smooth
- Combine the dish
- In a mixing bowl add the pomelo pulps
- Add the cooked shrimp meat
- Add diced shallots
- Add seasoning sauce to well coat the ingredients
- Mix well
- Add the crispy ingredients
- Add ground fried dry shrimp
- Add Fried Garlic
- Add grated and roasted coconut
- Add roasted and crashed peanuts
- Toss everything together