Here is the Thai take on a dish that can probably be found in any Asian hole_in_the_wall take away in the west. The soft and moist chicken marry well with the warm crunch of freshly toasted Cashew nuts, or as they called in Thai, the mangoes of the high forests of India.
The dish captures the eye with its vivid color – It is beautiful, It is bright… it is happy… and it fits well within the comfort zone of most westerns. No wonder it made its way to the top of the charts; and included among the top ten tastiest Thai dishes ever served abroad.
Search no more, here it is -The authentic recipe for Thai ‘Stir Fried Chicken with Cashew Nuts’….
(สูตรทำไก่ผัดเม็ดมะม่วงหิมพานต์ ; gai phat met mamuang himmaphan)
- 200gr Chicken breast meat, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 Medium size onion, cut into thin slices.
- 3-5 Large dry chilies, deseeded and cut into 1.5 cm (1") length
- ½ cup unsalted cashews nuts
- 2 Red long pepper, cut into thin julienne
- 1 Green banana pepper, cut into thin slices
- 2 Large cloves garlic, crushed and roughly chopped
- 3-4 Spring onions, cut into 4cm (1.5") lengh
- 1 tbs all propose or tempura flour
- rice bran oil (or any neutral taste cooking oil)
- 1½ tbs Fish sauce or Light soy sauce
- 1 tbs Black soy sauce
- 1 tbs Oyster sauce
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Stock or water
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- Prepare seasoning sauce by mixing all the ingredient. Set aside.
- Deep fry on medium-low heat the cashews nuts until light golden, drain oil and set aside.
- Lightly fry dry chilies until shiny and get beautiful deep red color. Set aside.
- Toss chicken pieces in flour, and fry until light golden. Set aside with the nuts and dry chilies.
- Cut the long red peppers into julienne, the onion into thin slices and the green banana pepper into thin slices. Set aside
- On medium heat stir fry the garlic lightly until fragrant
- Add onions, and stir fry until slightly transparent.
- Add fried cashews nuts, fried dry chilies and fried chicken, toss everything together and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add seasoning sauce, stir fry until all the ingredients get a nice color.
- Add red and green fresh chilies julienne and spring onion. Fast toss everything together, stir frying for another last 30 seconds.
- Serve hot with white rice.
Latest posts by Hanuman (see all)
Making Fermented Rice Flour Noodles
(การทำเส้นขนมจีน ; sen khanohm jeen) - May 9, 2015
- Laap (ลาบ), Saa (ส้า), Luu (หลู้), gaawy (ก้อย), Nam Dtohk (น้ำตก) – an Ethno Culinary Journey - January 22, 2015
Luang Prabang Style Koi Fish Salad Recipe (Koi Pla)
(gaawy bplaa nin luang prabang ; สูตรทำก้อยปลานิลหลวงพระบาง) - November 5, 2014
- Fish Koi Recipe (Koi Pla)Vientiane Style Fish and Herbs Salad(gaawy bplaa nin vientiane ; ก้อยปลานิลเวียงจันทน์) - October 18, 2014
Dtom Jeaw Pla Recipe
A Rustic & Spicy Laotian Fish Soup with Grilled Eggplants, Oyster Mushrooms and Herbs
สูตรทำต้มแจ่วปลา - September 23, 2012